Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Stretchy Rings

The stretchy rings worked better than I expected with certain children. I think they enjoyed the sensory input when squeezing them inside their hands and the proprioceptive input while pulling them over their heads. Actually I mostly pulled them onto the children myself so that the ring sat on their hips while straddling the horse. First I put one one, the side walker put one on and a parent even put one on. Then we all took turns motor planning to get it off and then place it over a cone. This works on some great bilateral hand skills, ROM, CML and sequencing.

By the way, if you are wondering why I am wearing an old pink ll bean fishing vest with a broken zipper- while I work I carry around my phone, small photo album with pictures of animals, a small doll's brush, sun glasses, magnets to attach to one another like a snake, the motor part from the Squiggle Wiggle Writer toy and my tape recorder (I record all my ideas and what the children do and then listen back as I write my notes. This compensates for my lousy memory.
BarbaraSmith, M.S., OTR/L
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment