Saturday, February 20, 2010

ments:

Karma Anais said...

You can easily make these poles with large coffee cans, quikcrete concrete and PVC cut to the height you want. The can also be made in a variety of heights for smaller and larger horses or more and less reach. It looked like the young man steering through the poles was part of a therapeutic riding lesson and not hippotherapy though, can't image that he needs 1:1 treatment with a therapist if he can ride that well ;-)

Thanks Karma,
I agree it looks like a therapeutic riding session. Thank-you for the directions to construct the pole activity.
I am always right next to the child while doing hippotherapy, usually with a hand on or near the belt even if the child doesn't really need the help. Sometimes I work with children who I think should be taking therapeutic riding lessons or even be in a group to work on social skills, rather than do hippotherapy- but I don't make those decisions at my current job. It seems that if the insurance or parent pays- then I do hippotherapy, but 99% of the time the therapy is appropriate. I had one client a 5 year old with charcot tooth syndrome who had lower extremity weakness and decreased rom and we worked a lot on strengthening her legs. She could have done that weaving around poles activity and lot more without my assistance. It was a lot of fun to have someone so capable of learning vaulting moves such as half flag (which was a struggle due to the weakness).
Barbara
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment