Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Big Boppy Day


The boys really take to the vehicle picture puzzles that I made. A new little guy quickly learned how to pull the reins to stop, go into a 2-pt. stand (feet in stirrups) reaching for the puzzle piece and then attach it (piece has velcro backing)

It seemed that the theme of the day was Boppy pillow because I not only used it in my usual fashion providing extra support behind the child or for weight bearing in front of the child- I used it today in a new way. A little guy with CP was particularly tight today and I was unable to abduct his hips to straddle the horse, not even when placed on the narrow withers. I started the session out positioning him on his belly, then supine over the horse's barrel to get him more relaxed. Later I lay him supine (head on croup) with his knees flexed and lower legs over the Boppy next to the circingle handle. He seemed pretty comfortable.
I wasn't able to snap a picture of anyone using the pillow, but just to show how importance they are for therapy- here they are along with the saddles and pads.....
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment