Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lots of Picture activities


It's hard to have so many new clients all at once! A parent who spent the entire first session translating next to her child last week was willing to stay in the waiting area and her 2 year old did very well. He seemed to understand many English directions (they speak Russian at home) and he said several words in English to me. He also loved posting (only his 2nd session) using the whoopee cushion to make sounds.
A little girl with down's syndrome has stopped crying and clutching onto me and today tolerated sitting sideways and backwards and shakes her body to indicate "go". I hope to teach her a hand signal Her mom said that she can sign "more" but I have not yet observed any signing nor grasping, not even to grasp the handle.
This activity shown above was a hit today. The client is attaching a small animal picture that I call the "baby"(with velcro) to the back of the larger animal picture that I call the "mommy. The larger animal pictures are attached to the walls. The client has to pull the reins to stop in front of the chosen picture before doing this and I make the client go into a 2 point stand to reach the baby picture. I present the larger picture to the child so that he has to figure out that he needs to turn it over to find the velcro side.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment