Thursday, July 22, 2010

Misty of Chincoteague

I have been thinking for several years that I would love to visit the wild ponies that live on the island of Assateague--a 33 mile long island off the eastern shore of Virginia. I recently came across the book  "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry--the story of a wild pony named Phantom and her baby Misty, descendents of the ponies who landed on the island during a Spanish voyage to Peru. The ponies won the hearts of a young brother and sister. It turns out that this is a children's book with exquisite illustrations that remind me of Robert McCloskey's "Make Way for Ducklings" as it transports the reader back to a simpler time and place. Now I am more inspired than ever to travel south, camp and see the island's wild ponies.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely book. I remember reading it and King of the Wind, also by her, when I was a little girl. It seems she wrote some spin-off books on both. Looks like I'll be shopping at Amazon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it and I am sure you and your kids will, too. If I had read it when younger maybe I would have fallen in love with horses sooner. I am hoping to take a vacation to Assategue in the spring:)
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete