Monday, March 8, 2010


This beautiful March 8 felt like spring and we were out all day. I managed to catch on my tape recorder a little boy filling in animal sounds to Old Mcdonald and played it back for his father. They both got a kick out of that. I carry a small recorder that fits in my pocket and talk about what the kids are doing throughout my sessions. They seem to like hearing me talk about the great work they are doing and then I use it to help me write notes. My brain is fried after 5 hours of walking and talking.
My home is surrounded by horse farms and I would love to find one that has horses that would be good for hippotherapy and see if I can pay a fee for the use of the facility/horses and start a business. The idea is intimidating since I really don't have the horse background. In fact, I have only been doing this for 3 1/2 years. Does any one out there share their experiences doing this?

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I have the horse experience ( been riding since I was five and working with horses for a long time) and theoretical knowledge from my undergraduate career( Equine Science and Therapeutic Riding) But I have yet to own my own horse, or horse business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may find AHA's business course helpful.

    ReplyDelete