Friday, March 12, 2010

Eyes Closed while Centering Body

I often stop when a child is sliding off the horse and ask him to sit up in the center or middle. If the child's body is starting to hang off the left side (toward me) I might ask the leader to turn the horse in a counterclockwise direction so that the child is made even more aware that the movement is making him fall off and he needs to fix his posture and get centered. I came across this mom's blog at: Mydelayeddarling.blogspot.com -showing the therapist hiding Owen's face to make him more aware of where his body is and that he needs to get back onto the center of the horse. (Owen's mom gave permission to use the photo). They love the hippotherapy at: Specialstrides.com
(Owen's mom-thanks for the photo! My employer does not allow use of client photos, so sad).
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

2 comments:

  1. Anytime Barb! Like I said, we're so proud of Owen and we are SO happy with the progress of his Hippotherapy! With the nice weather we plan to take more photos when he's back outside for therapy.

    Melaina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I look forward to seeing more photos!

    ReplyDelete