Thursday, July 2, 2009

Crossing Legs for External Hip Rotation


I just love when a child's physical therapist, or ANY physical therapist gives me suggestions. As you can tell, my greatest joy lies in creating hand activities. After all I am an OT!

But this little guy's mom told me that his PT is concerned that he is unable to maintain sitting on the floor with legs crossed. I started out with crossing only one leg and having the other leg (his left leg in this photo) hang down. After a couple of minutes I switched legs and then was able to cross both legs. As we continued, I could feel his hip tightness loosen. Best of all he didn't complain one bit. If a child has a lot of spasticity I often begin the sessions facing sideways until they loosen up enough to abduct the hips.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
Horseot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment