Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vehicle Pictures to stimulate Visual Perceptual Skills



Many of my hippotherapy children, especially the boys are fascinated by the tractors, diggers and other vehicles around the farm. I decided to exploit this by hanging vehicle pictures around the arena. These include: the shown pick up truck, train, ship, digger, tractor, firetruck and motorcycle. I just realized that I left out the airplane which would be useful when teaching the kids to hold the arm extension or "airplane position".


I taped the pictures to one side of a manila file folder and cut out a shape. The picture and cut out are covered with clear contact paper to make them last longer. I attached velcro to the shape so that the children can attach the shapes much like a form board. Staple around the folder's borders to keep the two sides closed.

I am teaching the children to pull the reins/stop at their favorite vehicle. So far, the pictures have been good motivators. Reaching for the shapes and larger picture also work on reaching, grasping and balance skills.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L, author of The Recycling Occupational Therapist

Horseot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment