Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hippotherapy Helps those with Turettes Syndrome

Tuscon teen, Holly Hitchcock describes how hippotherapy helps her find relief from tics-

"I have less tics, fewer muscle spasms and am sleeping better at night since starting hippotherapy.
At first I wasn’t sure how hippotherapy would help me. But I’ve discovered I can get into a mental “zone” where I can let go and almost forget I have Tourette’s for periods of time!
I am very grateful to Mary Vardi, Cheryl North, TROT and the Dillon Foundation, which helped pay my scholarship fees."

Check out her article: Tucson teen trots out Tourette hippotherapy program

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    You are welcome to use my photos on your blog. As long as I know they're there, I don't mind.
    We're very fortunant to go to a therapy center that encourages us to take photos and share about our experience. I'll be taking more when the weather is warm of the boys actually doing activities on the horse. They are both responding so well to hippotherapy!

    ReplyDelete