Removing shapes from weaving strips is a great way to introduce children to weaving.Many typically developing 2-3 year old children can do this. This activity also helps older children with challenges to:
- use hands together
- strengthen fingers and develop dexterity
- motor planning to move shapes in correct direction to remove them.
- count the shapes as they are removed
- name colors of shapes removed
- eye-hand coordination to insert shapes into slot
- Shape identification
- straight line
This little girl was particularly ready to focus on this fine-motor activity after 20 minutes of trail riding sensory stimulation !!