Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hipoptherapy helps children with Hemiplegia



An adorable 2 year old with  right hemiplegia was on my case load today. He is pretty good at using the right hand even though its in a splint (given some encouragement). He especially liked grasping the glitter wand and used both hands to raise it up and down. He did nice reaching using only his right to touch a squeaky ball (a dog toy). The game consists of me making the ball squeak when he touches it and then I move it all over the place so that he works on range of motion.  I also used the ball to provide some support while weight bearing while facing sideways. This works even better when walking uphill so that more weight goes on that hemiplegic side. I have to add that he posts quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment