Monday, October 12, 2009

Magnetic Puzzle Pieces


Anyone who does hippotherapy knows that you need ten hands to work with the child and control the materials. I often use Velcro to keep my materials in order. Today I used a puzzle with small pieces of magnetic tape on the back of the pieces. I attached them to a cookie sheet.



An almost 3 year old child enjoyed reaching while standing on top of the horse for a puzzle piece. Then he squatted to place each piece in the board. This child is quite bright and was able to easily find the matching hole without frustration, so it worked well. I like teaching the concept of number one by asking the child to take only one when given several to pick from.




Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

1 comment:

  1. Very clever!!! I must try it out. I will let you know how I get on.
    Looking forward to learn more good ideas from you.
    Your site is very helpfull.
    Well done.
    JA

    ReplyDelete