Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Using Cat bed for adaptations

I passed this luxurious cat bed for sale at a drug store for six dollars and thought that it would somehow be useful for hippotherapy. My cat prefers to be on my bed anyway.

This child is on the horse facing backwards. I dumped the puzzle pieces into the bed so they wouldn't get lost and used the bed to support the puzzle. I also used the bed as a work surface (over the horse croup) while a child connected button squares.

But trying to use the bed to hold tactile balls was a disaster, since the balls easily fell out. I am going to sew some type of bag inside to hold objects in place. The kids love the soft material. When I fold the round bed it works well simply as a pillow to bear weight on while the child faces backwards or forwards.
On another note, a child who is tactile defensive was willing to put all the tactile balls back inside a bag (shown below). Another child with gravitational security was willing to reach high up the mane to pull off pins.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment